November 9 1989 an historical moment in Europe, the Berlin Wall begins to crumble.
As I heard the news on the radio I jumped on my car with my camera gear and drove for seventeen hours from Venice to Berlin. When I got there the situation was pretty confused. The “Vopos” the military patrolling the wall, not knowing what to do yet.
People on the Western side of the Wall assembling to see what was going on, started to bang on the wall with hammers and bare hands. A breech trough the wall was opened near the Brandenburg Squareand people from the Eastern part of the Wall started to come West by the hundreds.
What a great emotion for a photographer to witness history in the making.
- Photos: On this day – November 9, 1989 – The Fall of the Berlin Wall (photos.mercurynews.com)
- Europe marks the fall of Berlin Wall (newstalk.ie)
- Twenty-Three Years on From the Fall of the Berlin Wall Europe Depends on Germany (reason.com)
- East Germany Opens Checkpoints In Berlin Wall Allowing Its Citizens To Travel To West Germany-This Day 1989 (mistybarriers.wordpress.com)
- From Kristallnacht to the Berlin Wall. (waldina.com)
- 9/11 & 11/9 – Reasons to remember 9th November in Europe (politicaldeficit.wordpress.com)
- Photos: On this day – November 9, 1989 – The Fall of the Berlin Wall (photos.denverpost.com)